Conversion therapy and LGBTI people of faith
Webinar for counsellors, therapists, chaplains, youth workers, telephone counsellors, pastors and LGBTI service providers
Presented for the Australian College of Relationship Counsellors (ACRC) and the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA)
The mental health challenges of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) people have been well documented. LGBTI people from faith backgrounds often experience these with greater intensity and have additional issues to deal with including attempts to change their sexual orientation or block gender transitioning. Understanding the LGBTI faith person’s worldview as well as the unique personal and psychological obstacles they face, enables therapists to work more effectively with clients.
- What is conversion therapy?
- LGBTI people of faith and conversion therapy
- Clients can present with these issues
- Why the internal conflict?
- Sexuality Resolution Process Model
- Belief Resolution Options Model
- Gay Christians Scripture Resolution Process Model
- Further Resources