What is ex-gay, reparative & conversion “therapy”?
Articles, PowerPoint and Video
For over four decades, ex-gay, reparative, and conversion “therapy” organisations have preached a ‘change is possible’ message which has harmed many people psychologically, emotionally, and spiritually.
There has been a steady decline in the impact and number of organizations, particularly in Australia and New Zealand. Exodus International, the world’s largest ex-gay organisation, closed its doors in 2013.
President Alan Chambers admitted at a gay Christian conference that no one had actually changed their orientation and apologised for the harm they had caused.
Since 2000, Anthony Venn-Brown has monitored conversion therapy activities in Australia and overseas, challenged false claims made by individuals and organisations, and spoken out about the dangers.
Access a complete summary of activities with a timeline and helpful links.
There are numerous blog posts and previous news articles available for interested individuals, media, and researchers.
You can access these by using the search query “conversion therapy” on the ABBI blog.
Here are some highlights:
- Conversion therapy and LGBTQ people of faith – webinar
- REPORT – Gay Conversion Therapy in Australia
- What is gay conversion therapy? (and what it is not)
- How celibacy became the new ex-gay
- Sensoria Journal – Sexual orientation change efforts within religious contexts
- NSW government submission
- The largest closet in the world is the “ex-gay” closet
- Ex-gay = contradictions, denial and mental gymnastics
- Conversion therapy survivors – testimonials not found on ‘ex-gay’ organisations’ sites
- Is my strategy working? How to end conversion therapy
- Conversion therapy leaders – 20 questions
- Australia Conversion Therapy Leaders Change Perspective and Apologise
- Ex-gay Ministries – Two thirds gone in Australia and NZ
ABC Hungry Beast looks at Conversion Therapy
Three men with three very different stories and experiences of ex-gay, reparative, or what has become known as conversion therapy on ABC’s Hungry Beast.
Meet comedian and Gay Conversion School Drop Out Anthony Menchetti, author and gay Christian advocate Anthony Venn-Brown and former leader of Liberty Christian Ministries, Haydn Sennitt.
You’ll also find a playlist of other relevant videos on Ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy on our YouTube channel
Please consider sharing this page on social media.
PowerPoint presentation is an overview of gay conversion therapy:
- History of the ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy movement
- Evolution of the ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy movement
- Who seeks ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy programs
- Ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy Methodologies
- Differences Between US and Australian ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy Ministries
- Mental Health Professional Statements about reparative therapies
- Why ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy Ministries in Decline?
- Testimonials You Won’t Read on an ‘Ex-gay’ website of those who once struggled with ‘unwanted same-sex attraction’.