The International Transgender Day of Remembrance, is a day to memorialize transgender people who have been murdered because of transphobia and raise awareness on the needs and challenges faced by the trans and gender diverse communities.
Please have a look at these statistics.
- Stigma and extreme violence against trans and gender-diverse people are a global reality.
- Religious groups in Australia like the ACL and Binary and overseas have recently had a strong emphasis opposing and ridiculing the trans community. Their narrative is not only ignorant but cruel. Their emphasis on trans youth is harmful and disgusting.
- 2982 trans and gender-diverse people were reported murdered in 72 countries between 1 January 2008 and 30 September 2018. (Source: Transrespect versus Transphobia Worldwide (TvT) project)
- 35% of transgender people aged 18 and over have attempted suicide in their lifetime (Source: McNeil, J., Bailey, L., Ellis, S., Morton, J. & Regan, M. (2012) Trans Mental Health Study 2012, Scottish Transgender Alliance, Scotland)
- 57% of transgender and non-binary youth who have undergone conversion therapy reported a suicide attempt in the last year alone (Source: Trevor Project).
- 78% of transgender and non-binary youth report being the subject of discrimination due to their gender identity. (Source: Trevor Project).
- Compared to the general population, transgender people aged 18 and over are nearly eleven times more likely to attempt suicide in their lifetime. (Source: National LGBTI Heath Alliance)
- Transgender people aged 18 and over are more likely to people are nearly eighteen times more likely have thoughts of suicide compared to the general population, (Source: National LGBTI Heath Alliance)
Search for an event in your area to support the transgender community. I will be attending this event hosted by Inner City Legal Centre and Gender Centre at Harmony Park, Sydney tonight at 6.30pm.
Want to know more then read Australian Star Observer article “SYDNEY TO MARK TRANSGENDER DAY OF REMEMBRANCE WITH SEVERAL EVENTS” and USA article ‘We are not drag queens’
Want to dig deeper? Read this report
Please share using the social media buttons below.