After 15 years of monitoring ex-gay organisations and knowing many ex-gay leaders (former and current), it made me think what a realistic job description might look like. Probably something like this.
- Your same-sex-attraction must be unwanted
- Supernatural faith that God can make all people ‘normal’ (turn green eyes to blue, red hair to brown, make left handed people right handed and, of course, homosexuals heterosexual)
- Excellent double-speak communication skills. Example 1: Say heterosexuality is not the goal but constantly talk about being married and having children with ‘proves’ you are no longer gay. Example 2: Say you are a ‘former homosexual’ and that any thoughts or feelings you have now towards the same sex are just thoughts and temptations.
- Good knowledge of appropriate wording (appropriate words – homosexual, homosexuality, unwanted same-sex-attraction, sexual/relational brokenness. Inappropriate words – gay, lesbian, LGBT, sexual orientation. You can use the word gay when referring to gay activists or the ‘gay lifestyle’ however.)
- Clearly understand the ‘no-one is born gay’ theory but that homosexuality is caused by a strong mother/weak father and/or sexual abuse and be able to source websites and articles that demonstrate you are right (whilst ignoring latest scientific research).
- Ability to link an individual’s sexual addiction and abuse to their homosexuality and not confuse these as separate issues.
- Be prepared to accept the highest levels of accountability to make sure you are not secretly playing up behind the scenes.
- Confidently and assertively communicate to people struggling with same-sex-attraction that they can never experience falling in love or having a life partner (celibacy is their calling).
- Highly motivated to work with people who eventually give up.
- Exceptional organisational skills to build a ministry that is becoming increasingly irrelevant.
- Must be able to quote the Sodom and Gomorrah story, Lev 18:22 & 20:13, Romans 1:26-27, I Corinthians 6:9 by heart. And also demonstrate that these verses are about homosexuals today and have nothing to do with rape, pagan practices or temple prostitution.
- Married to someone of the opposite sex and sired children which ‘proves’ you’ve been cured.
- Experienced in running small support groups and managing the emotional trauma of participants sharing their deepest shame and failings.
- Have previously experienced sexual addiction, sexual abuse and/or at least dabbled in the ‘homosexual lifestyle’. The more tragic the better.
Successful applicants will have to answer these 20 questions
NB: No formal psychological or counseling accreditation required.
Anthony Venn-Brown is the co-founder and former leader of Freedom2b, Australia’s largest network of LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) people from Christian backgrounds. He is also an educator and consultant on LGBT/faith issues and leader in deconstructing the ‘ex-gay’ myth. Anthony’s autobiography ‘A Life of Unlearning’, details his journey from married, high profile preacher in Australia’s mega-churches to living as an openly gay man. Anthony has been twice voted ‘One of the 25 Most Influential Gay and Lesbian Australians’ (2007 & 2009) and was one of four finalists for the 2011 ACON Community Hero Award. He is also the founder and director of Ambassadors & Bridge Builders International.