For over four decades ex-gay, reparative and conversion therapy organisations have preached a ‘change is possible’ message which has damaged many people psychologically, emotionally and spiritually. There has been a steady decline in the impact and number of organizations particularly in Australia and New Zealand. Exodus International, the worlds largest ex-gay organization closed it doors in 2013. President Alan Chambers admitted at a gay Christian conference that no-one had actually changed their orientation and apologized for the harm they had caused.
For over fifteen years, Anthony Venn-Brown, has monitored ex-gay activities in Australia and overseas, challenged false claims made by individuals and organizations and spoken out about the dangers. A complete summary of activities with timeline and helpful links can be downloaded here
This PowerPoint presentation is an overview of some of that work:
- History of the ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy movement
- Evolution of the ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy movement
- Who seeks ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy programs
- Ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy Methodologies
- Differences Between US and Australian ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy Ministries
- Mental Health Professional Statements about reparative therapies
- Why ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy Ministries in Decline?
- Testimonials You Won’t Read on an ‘Ex-gay’ website of those who once struggled with ‘unwanted same sex attraction’