For over four decades ex-gay, reparative and conversion therapy organisations have preached a ‘change is possible’ message which has damaged many people psychologically, emotionally and spiritually. There has been a steady decline in the impact and number of organizations particularly in Australia and New Zealand. Exodus International, the worlds largest ex-gay organization closed it doors in 2013. President Alan Chambers admitted at a gay Christian conference that no-one had actually changed their orientation and apologized for the harm they had caused.
For over fifteen years, Anthony Venn-Brown, has monitored ex-gay activities in Australia and overseas, challenged false claims made by individuals and organizations and spoken out about the dangers.
This PowerPoint presentation is an overview of some of that work:
- History of the ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy movement
- Evolution of the ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy movement
- Who seeks ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy programs
- Ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy Methodologies
- Differences Between US and Australian ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy Ministries
- Mental Health Professional Statements about reparative therapies
- Why ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy Ministries in Decline?
- Testimonials You Won’t Read on an ‘Ex-gay’ website of those who once struggled with ‘unwanted same sex attraction’
Three men with three very different stories and experiences of ex-gay, reparative or what has become known conversion therapy on the ABC’s Hungry Beast.
You’ll also find a playlist of other relevant videos on Ex-gay/reparative/conversion therapy on our YouTube channel CLICK HERE